21 October 2009

Skype Experience

I created an account, which went fairly well. To be honest, I am not a big fan of needing a Skype account. For one thing, I have an older computer right now that does not have a microphone or webcam. I will be replacing my computer in the next few years so I am not inclined to go by either one of these devices. This leaves me the ability to chat via IM, and I can do that with many of my same contacts using google chat. However, once I do get a new computer, I can see how this might be of value for my students. If they have Skype, and we are both on our computer, they can call me if they have questions. Now, I am not so sure how I feel about this. To me, it's like giving out my home phone number, and I don't know that I want to be reached all of the time. I like my own personal downtime too, so I think I would need to play with it and set some boundary lines were I to use this. I look forward to seeing how it plays out for me and its usefulness to me during this semester. One major benefit I can see is using it when I travel internationally to keep in touch with family and friends -- it is a much easier and cheaper way to stay in touch rather than trying to buy a cell phone or international phone plan. If I take students abroad, I will bring a computer, and allow students to contact their parents from Skype instead of calling. This will also be much easier and cheaper, especially for the student.

2 comments:

  1. You make some good points. Definitely a list of pros and cons for any toolset. One of my thoughts is using Skype to visit 'guest speakers' in nearly every area of study you will have with the kids. The other is demonstrating the use of this tool for the tech literacy component which we'll be discussing later in the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your point. and, I appreciate your feedback. I hadn't thought about using it as a guest-speaker tool. :-)

    ReplyDelete