22 October 2009

OTEN Conference

Well, this is my Yodio OTEN review. I went to 3 sessions: the keynote speaker, a class website session, and a Stellarium session. From the keynote speaker, I learned that it will be difficult to change students' preconceived ideas; however the TPaCK (technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge) are essential to good, effective teaching. From the website session, I learned that I do not want a blog for each class' website, but rather a blog to support a class website (on say, perhaps, Google Sites). From the Stellarium session, I learned that it's okay to let students struggle, to make their own conjectures and then discuss, evaluate and refine them. If I do this, though, closure will be key and it will need to be solid, so that students have a clear understanding of what they learned and how they were right/not right in their initial hypotheses. I am supposed to link this too, so either see below for my Yodio or click on this link to get to my Yodio site.



Yodio would be a great way for my math students to call in and record notes and thoughts about math presentations and/or movies that they see. Nearly every student has access to a cell phone, and if they come across something that excites them, it is a simple phone call away to record those thoughts. Then, the entire class can listen and get some ideas for math cultural ideas. Spanish students can call in and practice their audio speeches. this would be a great use in class; since we do a lot of audio activities, it would really enhance learning and participation to use the students own audio recordings for these activities.

1 comment:

  1. Another outstanding reflection. I'll be doing a Yodio/VoiceThread mini presentation in a few weeks, so will link to this as an example.

    ReplyDelete