07 October 2009

Bio


My name is Meagan Potter. I am the oldest of three; my sisters are 21 and 12. I grew up in Great Falls, MT and graduated from Great Falls HS in 2005. I went to Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR where I double majored in math and Spanish. During my junior year, I spent a semester at the Universidad de Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain. I graduated in 2009. I am interested in teaching math, Spanish, or both at either the high school or middle school level. I would love to teach abroad -- both in Spanish speaking countries and some non-Spanish speaking countries.

My major academic interests are EVERYTHING! I have loved school since before I started and I have always loved learning. My biggest passions are language, Math, and speech/debate. I attended 2 major and 1 minor math conferences last year, where I had the opportunity to present my senior research and a classroom research project as well as hear talks by some well-known mathematicians. I love to be challenged. I consider myself a nerd to the fullest extent and am excited to learn new things. I am somewhat skeptical and a (recovering) perfectionist, and these can either be both beneficial and detrimental to my learning. I can be very intense and focused about my work, and thus contribute to the stereotype that mathematicians are antisocial.

My hobbies include reading (mostly fiction - historical, fantasy, psycho-thrillers, etc - and classic lit), being outdoors (hiking, swimming, running, biking, playing, beaches, skiing, rock-climbing, rafting, playing, etc), watching movies, traveling, and playing with my pets. I also really enjoy service projects; I spent a 1.5 weeks in Greensburg, KS last summer with a group of teens. I really enjoy working with youth. I like to try nearly everything once, and I have participated in at least 12 organized athletic activities including gymnastics, hula dancing and tae kwon do. Personally, I am a bit goofy and competition matters to me mostly when it's with myself. Long-term health is really important to me, so I try to maintain a lifestyle that promotes mental, physical and emotional health.

Something interesting about me is that since I started working at 16, I have had 6 jobs and 5 major volunteer positions. I have worked as a babysitter, at an ice cream parlor, as a gymnastics coach, as a lifeguard, as a math tutor, as a math grader, and as an assistant circulation supervisor (in a library). I have held volunteer positions such as a bilingual daycare assistant, translator in a sewing class, Latin girls' club assistant, a second adult for a youth program, and an English conversation teacher in Spain. I enjoy variety in my work, and constantly seek new challenges and opportunities. The new challenges and variety brought by each new class each year is part of the appeal to me as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, you've had an exciting life --- not wasting any time getting the most out of what your capable of doing. Your high energy will certainly come in handy as you enter the teaching profession.

    ReplyDelete